Russian peacekeepers evacuate civilians in Nagorno-Karabakh. Photo/Russian Defense Ministry
BAKU – The first suspect in the deaths of Russian peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh has been detained. This news was revealed by a source from Russian law enforcement agencies on Thursday (21/9/2023).
“The first suspect in the crime has been detained,” the source said.
On Wednesday, Russia’s Ministry of Defense (Kemhan) said several peacekeepers were killed when their car was attacked in the Canyataq area of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Earlier on Thursday, Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev apologized to Russian President Vladimir Putin and expressed deep condolences over the tragic death.
Aliyev added that a thorough investigation would be carried out into the incident.
The troop commander whose subordinates were at fault in the incident has been removed from his post.