Fragment of the drone shot down over Ukraine. Photo/pravda.com.ua
KIEV – President Volodymyr Zelensky acknowledged that Russia carried out one of the most massive drone strikes in Ukraine to date.
Zelensky’s confession came on Sunday night (28/5/2023), amid media reports of explosions across the country. According to the RT report, the Russian Ministry of Defense (Kemhan) has yet to comment on the matter.
In a statement on Telegram, Zelensky said, “Today, our country experienced one of the largest Russian attacks by 54 Shaheds drones at once.”
The statement referred to the Kamikaze drone (UAV), which the West claims and Kiev was given to Russia by Iran.
Tehran has denied supplying Moscow with drones during the conflict in Ukraine. The Kremlin says it only uses Russian-made weapons in Ukraine.
Ukraine’s president claims almost all of the drones have been shot down. He added, “Unfortunately, there have been several attacks in Zhytomir Region” in the central part of the country.
Earlier, Vitaly Bunechko, the head of the local government, said Russia carried out attacks on infrastructure facilities in the region.
He did not provide further details about the blast, but noted there were no casualties.
Zelensky went on to say, “The most powerful attack was aimed at the Kiev Region.” He claimed 36 drones had been shot down in the area.