President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky. Photo/REUTERS
KIEV – Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky confirmed that Kiev had set a date for a counterattack against Russia.
This statement appeared on Monday (29/5/2023). Ukrainian officials have been talking about the move for several months.
Western media warn a failure could cost Kiev the backing of its international backers.
Speaking in a video address released on Telegram, Zelensky shared details of a military conference where a number of senior military commanders gave reports.
“The meeting revolved around not only… ammunition supply, not only training of new brigades, not only tactics, but also… timing,” the Ukrainian president said.
“This is the most important. Time how we will move forward. We will. The decision has been made,” he stressed, without giving details on when and where the counter-offensive would begin.
In recent weeks, Ukrainian officials have issued conflicting statements about the much-vaunted reprisal.
Last week, Mikhail Podoliak, an aide to Zelensky, said the push “has been going on for several days now.”
However, Kirill Budanov, who heads Ukraine’s Main Intelligence Directorate, said a counteroffensive would begin soon.