Saudi Arabia is the location for pre-negotiation talks between the warring parties in Sudan. Photos/Illustrations
RIYADH – Saudi Arabia to host the warring parties’ first face-to-face talks in Sudan after several ceasefires failed.
The United States (US)-Saudi Arabia joint statement welcomes the start of “pre-negotiation talks” in Jeddah between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Force (RSF). On Friday reports spoke of continuing clashes in Khartoum.
Statements from the US and Saudi governments said they urged both sides to consider the interests of the Sudanese nation and its people and actively engage in talks towards a ceasefire and end to the conflict, which will save the Sudanese people from suffering and ensure the availability of humanitarian assistance to the affected areas.
The joint statement also expressed hope for an expanded negotiation process that should include engagement with all Sudanese parties.
The Sudanese army confirmed it had sent an envoy to Jeddah to engage in talks, saying the talks were aimed at addressing humanitarian issues.
Previously, the United Nations and aid agencies stressed that the country was facing a dire humanitarian crisis.
Nearly three weeks of heavy fighting have killed hundreds of people and displaced nearly 450,000 civilians. Of those, the International Organization for Migration says, more than 115,000 have sought refuge in neighboring countries.
Sudanese army commander General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan – Sudan’s de facto president – was embroiled in a bitter power struggle with RSF leader General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, better known as Hemedti.