Russian Wagner Group mercenary leader Yevgeny Prigozhin claims to have completely captured the city of Bakhmut from Ukrainian forces. Photo/REUTERS
BAKHMUT – A retired United States (US) general predicts that mercenary leaders Wagner Group Russia Yevgeny Prigozhin and his people will face disaster in Ukraine in the coming days.
Lieutenant General (Ret.) Mark Hertling, a former US commander, made his predictions shortly after Prigozhin announced that the city of Bakhmut was under total control.
He will hand over control of the city to the Russian military on May 25, at which time he will pull his men off the battlefield.
However, Ukrainian officials provided conflicting reports that disputed neither Prigohzin’s nor the Russian military’s claims.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky stressed on Sunday that Bakhmut is not completely under Russian control.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian officials said the battle for the city was continuing, adding that Ukrainian troops had surrounded Bakhmut and were advancing along the city’s eastern outskirts.
“As we have said many times, Prigozhin is not a professional soldier and neither are his troops. Congratulations Yevgeny, you have planted the Wagner flag in the middle of the city. And you are under siege,” Hertling wrote on Twitter.
“Disastrous for Wagner for the last 5 months…and the week ahead,” continued the former American general, as reported by Newsweek, Monday (22/5/2023).
Washington estimated earlier this month that at least 10,000 Wagner mercenaries have been killed over the last five months.