Already the paramilitary, the RSF, announced a ceasefire for 24 hours after earlier the same deal collapsed. Photo/CNN
KHARTOUM – Paramilitary groups Sudan , Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which has been engaged in heavy fighting with soldiers since Saturday, announced a 24-hour ceasefire agreement. This agreement will start at 06.00 pm local time on Wednesday (19/4/2023).
“We confirm our full commitment to a complete ceasefire and hope that the other side will commit to it, as per the time announced,” RSF said in a statement on Twitter.
The Sudanese army then announced its plan to comply with the ceasefire for the purpose of facilitating the humanitarian side, provided the other side adheres to the ceasefire.
Fighting between soldiers and paramilitaries raged in Sudan for a fifth day on Wednesday after an internationally brokered 24-hour ceasefire collapsed.
Gunfire, airstrikes and bomb blasts have rocked the capital, Khartoum and other parts of the Horn of Africa country.
Violence erupted on Saturday between troops loyal to the head of the Sudanese army – Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the country’s de facto ruler – and his deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, known as Hemedti, who leads the RSF.
The two, with long histories of human rights violations, are fighting for control of Africa’s third-largest, resource-rich country.
The bloodshed has so far claimed at least 270 lives and left more than 2,600 injured, said the director general of the UN World Health Organization, Tedros Ghebreyesus.
A 24-hour ceasefire was supposed to be in effect from sunset Tuesday to sunset Wednesday.