SANAA – A government soldier wealth died and two others were injured on Saturday (25/3/2023), when a drone laden with explosives fired by rebels Houthi attacked a convoy carrying senior Yemeni military leaders.
Yemeni military officials who were in the delegation included the Minister of Defense of Yemen, Lieutenant General Mohsen Al-Daeri. The attack took place in the Taiz area, a city under siege.
A Yemeni government official told Arab News the Houthis launched a drone at the convoy carrying the defense minister, military chief of staff, and the governor of Taiz as they traveled from the Red Sea city of Mocha to Taiz.
Al-Daeri and all other government officials were unharmed. Muammar Al-Eryani, Yemen’s information minister, accused the Houthis of trying to thwart peace efforts.
“This sinful targeting, which comes after the Houthi terrorist militia’s continuous escalation on various fronts, confirms his insistence on sabotage attempts to restore the ceasefire and calm the situation,” the minister said on Twitter.
Al-Eryani had previously warned that large-scale military operations would resume across the country if the Houthis continued their attacks on government troops, particularly in the central province of Marib.
Dozens of fighters have been killed or injured since early last week, when the Houthis began a series of intense attacks on government forces in Hareb district, south of Marib province, capturing several villages.
Those attacks, as well as other less intense shelling and ground attacks on Taiz, have dashed hopes of a peaceful solution to the war.
Al-Eryani said the Houthi offensive in Hareb had resulted in the displacement of large numbers of people and raised the prospect of all-out conflict, which would end the country’s relative peace since a UN-brokered ceasefire took effect in April last year.