Amoeba Naegleria fowleri. Photo/cco
FLORIDA – An alert to the public about Naegleria fowleri infection was issued by the Florida Department of Health in Charlotte County in February, after a confirmed case of infection with a microscopic single-cell live amoeba.
A man in Charlotte County, Florida, has died after being infected with the brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri, according to a news release from the Florida Department of Health in Charlotte County.
“Epidemiological investigations are currently underway to understand the unique circumstances of this infection. I can confirm that the infection unfortunately resulted in death, and any additional information about this case is being withheld to protect patient privacy,” said Jae Williams, press secretary for the Florida Department of Health. on Saturday (4/3/2023).
According to him, “The case that was confirmed at the end of February, could be the result of the practice of rinsing the sinuses using tap water.”
Officials once again strongly advise residents to use special distilled or sterile water-based sinus solutions.
They explained the need to boil tap water for at least one minute and then cool it before rinsing the sinuses.
To allay the worry, Jae Williams added, “Naegleria fowleri infection is rare and can only occur when amoeba-contaminated water enters the body through the nose. You cannot get infected by drinking tap water.”
Naegleria fowleri, known as the “brain-eating amoeba,” is a single-celled organism specifically designed to inhabit warm fresh water and soil.
Its preferred habitat, where the amoeba enjoys its highest reproductive rates, is warm fresh water environments, such as lakes, rivers and geothermal hot springs. These unicellular organisms can also live in moist soil.
Leave a Reply