The US Disburses IDR 6 Trillion in Humanitarian Aid to Yemen. PHOTO/Reuters
WASHINGTON – United States of America (US) announced more than USD 400 million (Rp 6 trillion) in humanitarian assistance to wealth on Monday (27/2/2023), bringing the total to over $5.4 billion since the war began.
The new aid was promised by Washington during a donors conference in Geneva, where the United Nations said more than $4 billion was needed to help millions of Yemenis in the war-torn country.
Baca: UNICEF: Over 11,000 Children Killed or Injured in Yemen Since 2015
“The United States’ commitment to alleviating the suffering of millions of people from the world’s worst humanitarian crisis in Yemen remains steadfast,” Foreign Minister Antony Blinken said, as quoted by Al Arabiya.
He said the aid would enable partners to provide “life-saving assistance to Yemen’s most vulnerable people.”
But, he noted, “much more” help was needed. Blinken called on all donors to do their part to help raise the $4.3 billion the United Nations says is needed.
At a similar conference last year, the limited availability of funds forced the United Nations to halt most of its programs in Yemen, including emergency food aid. Nevertheless, the top US diplomat said there were “glimmers of hope” as the country experienced the best chance for peace in years.
Baca: French Navy Seizes Thousands of Rifles Trying to Be Smuggled to Yemen
“The international community must do all we can to help – including through strong support for the Yemeni humanitarian response – to build further positive momentum and ensure Yemenis see the real benefits that peace can provide,” Blinken said.
Yemen’s internationally recognized government and Houthi militia have been locked in a war for years after the Iran-backed group seized control of the capital Sanaa in 2014.
Last month, Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan said progress had been made towards ending the war, but more work was needed, including restoring the ceasefire and moving to a permanent ceasefire.
The UN-brokered ceasefire that began on April 2 last year ended on October 2 after the Houthis refused to extend it.
Leave a Reply