Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin. Photo/REUTERS
BEIJING – China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Kemlu) stated that balloons made in the United States (US) had been detected breaking into Chinese airspace at least 10 times since January 2022.
On February 4, 2023, the United States shot down what it claimed was a Chinese reconnaissance balloon over the Atlantic Ocean. China insists the balloon was engaged in scientific research and was accidentally thrown off course.
“It is not uncommon for US balloons to illegally enter other countries’ airspace… The US needs to reflect on its own behavior, instead of slandering, smearing and provoking confrontation,” said Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin at a press conference in Beijing on Monday (13/13). 2/2023).
In response to the US rhetoric following the recent balloon incident, the spokesperson indicated, “China reserves the right to take necessary means to deal with the relevant incident.”
Also read: Russian Foreign Minister: US Openly Admits Nord Stream Pipeline Explosion
The fact that the Chinese civilian drone intruded unintentionally into US airspace was due to unavoidable coincidences, according to Wang Wenbin.
China confirmed the balloon was under scientific research but fell victim to strong winds. China’s foreign ministry condemned the US balloon shooting as a reckless use of force.
As for the US, a spokesperson for China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs called it the world’s largest repeat offender when it comes to espionage and indiscriminate use of surveillance.
“Washington has repeatedly sent aircraft and warships to conduct reconnaissance over China, with 64 flights in the South China Sea in January this year alone,” said a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman.
Also read: 3 Incidents of a Statue of Jesus Struck by Lightning, the Last of which Was Burned Out