Video game sales data by format in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2022 are worrying for the physical. Almost 90% has been digital.
That the digital video game market is growing is unquestionable. Although there are territories where the physical remains strong, and even growing, there are others in which the public has decided to say goodbye almost completely to boxes and collections. A recent study by ERA, the Digital Entertainment and Retail Association of United Kingdomhas revealed that, in 2022, only 1 in 10 games sold was physical.
The statistic they have shared is more accurate. According to the organization, the 89.5% of video games sold on the UK market last year were in digital format, so the remaining 10.5% were physicists. A considerable difference in a market with billion-dollar figures that, last year, generated more than £4.7bn in revenue (5,300 million euros approx.).
Those numbers are so large that they mark another important milestone for the sector. With this one, they go 11 years in which video games earn more money than music and cinema in the UK. Something that is also beginning to be extrapolated to other parts of the world.
How will this trend evolve? For now, everything points to digital continuing to dominate, which in turn makes it difficult for organizations like ERA to track actual sales data as “sometimes, new digital players do not share your sales data directly”, as stressed by Kim Bayley, CEO of ERA.
What is your opinion? Will things change?