the australian Oscar Piastri He stated this Tuesday that he will not drive “for Alpine next year”, despite the fact that the French Formula 1 (F1) team announced him as a substitute for Spaniard Fernando Alonso next season.
“I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 They put out a press release in the late afternoon saying I’m going to be driving for them next year,” says the Australian.
“This is a mistake and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year.” Piastri states on his Twitter account.
The Alpine team announced this Tuesday that starting next season Piastri He would be the replacement for Alonso, whose signing for the Aston Martin team was announced on Monday.
As a consequence of Alonso’s change of team, Alpine announced on Tuesday that its driver line-up for next season will be made up of Frenchman Esteban Ocon y Piastri, born 21 years ago in Melbourne, winner of Formula 2 last year and current tester of the team.
“After four years as part of the Renault and Alpine family, our reserve driver Oscar Piastri is promoted and will occupy an official seat alongside Esteban Ocon from 2023,” Alpine’s statement said.
Piastri, who was the F2 champion last year, had won the Formula Renault Eurocup in 2019 and the Formula 3 in 2020.
Get the latest news in your email
Everything you need to know to start your day
Registering implies accepting the Terms and Conditions