ROME. The Prime Minister has decided to appear as a civil party in the trial on the murder of Giulio Regeni, which will begin tomorrow before the Third Assize Court of Rome. A hearing that will be “technical”, totally absorbed by procedural issues. The first node is linked to the absence in the courtroom of the four Egyptian 007s accused of the kidnapping and murder of the young researcher: General Sabir Tariq, Colonels Usham Helmi, Athar Kamel Mohamed Ibrahim, and Magdi Ibrahim Abdelal Sharif. The judges will have to assess whether the non-participation was voluntary. The Public Prosecutor of Rome will reiterate that the publicity, media and not only, given to the investigation and the criminal proceedings is such as to make it “well known”. A position shared at the time by the judge of the preliminary hearing who, in sending the four to trial, judged the decision not to be present in the courtroom “voluntary”. If the Court of Assizes also adopts this approach, the trial will be able to continue with the defendants judged in absentia, otherwise the judges could suspend the proceedings.
Against the four the prosecutor Sergio Colaiocco disputes the crimes, depending on the position, of multiple kidnapping of a person in aggravated homicide and complicity in aggravated personal injury. In the proceedings, at the moment, the parents of the researcher found lifeless in February 2016 have filed a civil action. years: Matteo Renzi, Paolo Gentiloni, Giuseppe Conte and the reigning premier Mario Draghi. The civil party also mentions the foreign ministers and undersecretaries who, over the years, have been delegated to the secret services. In total there are eight witnesses heard by the Prosecutor’s Office who in recent months have provided elements determined to reconstruct what happened between January and February 2016 in Cairo. Eight people who clearly and credibly accuse the four. From three texts, in particular, confirmations have come that the Cairo secret services had already planned the misdirections in the hours following Giulio’s death, of which they were aware on February 2, 24 hours before the “official” discovery of the body, deciding to stage a robbery ended in blood. The investigation of the prosecutors in Rome went ahead in fact without any collaboration from the Egyptian authorities.
Today the Egyptian President Al Sisi, speaking at the summit of the countries of the Visegrad group in Budapest, on the subject of civil rights said: “You are dealing with a state that respects itself and fully respects its people. a power that does not submit to any diktat ». An appeal to seek the truth, on the eve of the trial, was made by the President of the Chamber Roberto Fico. “If we look back over the years, and think of the enormous effort it took to get here, to reconstruct a plot despite Egyptian misdirections and resistances of all kinds, we understand how important and full of meaning the day is. tomorrow – said Fico -. I want to send a hug to Paola Deffendi and Claudio Regeni, for their tenacity and their humanity. Let us all remain united, institutions and communities, in the search for this truth ».