Residents of the Buritis neighborhood, in the western region of Belo Horizonte, were terrified by an unexpected visit inside the apartments: “giant” spiders, about 15 centimeters long and wild in appearance.
Flávia Prado was one of the people who spotted the arachnid. The administrator yesterday photographed the “pet” climbing the roof of his house, on the 8th floor of the building, located in a very urbanized region.
“I was very desperate! As I have little daughters, I immediately thought: it will kill my girls!” Twitter. Days before this registration, another specimen of the spider was seen by the residents in the private area of the condominium.
The species in question is similar to the wand, which, in addition to being larger than the others, can also be dangerous for humans, since it is venomous and has a painful sting.
After Flávia posted the photo to a neighborhood group on Instagram, several people in the region said they also witnessed the same scene and, at times, questioned “what animal would that be”.
One of them, Poliana Andrade, said: “In my building it is crowded because of the forest next door”.
At the forum, several confirmed that they had seen “giant” spiders in the past few days and stressed the need for extra care in the face of the situation.
“There is really a spider spider, be very careful, you have to call the Environment personnel or the firefighters”, warned resident Denise Ferreira.
Specialist alert for sting
In an interview with Twitter, biologist Tiago dos Santos said that “most likely” the animal is a spider of the wandering species.
“She is venomous and can be dangerous, in the sense that the bite, with neurotoxic poison, can lead to very intense pain and, consequently, to fainting, mental confusion, vomiting or tachycardia”.
In addition, according to him, the effect may be even greater in babies and the elderly, who have weaker immunity, strength and metabolism. “Such a situation would require urgent medical attention,” he said.
The specialist also advised on the correct procedure in front of the spiders, explaining that it is not advisable to try to pick up the bottle on your own or remove it with a broom or some utensil, since it has a relatively aggressive defense mechanism. He ponders that this is a natural instinct, but he warns:
“Of course, they are not monsters. But I advise anyone not to remove it alone, it is necessary to call Zoonosis. Threatened, it can jump more than a meter and reach the person. It is a way to defend itself. If you saw one, call Zoonose or Firefighters “, he warned.
The wandering spider, the spider of the Phoneutria genus, is also known as the monkey spider or banana spider, belonging to the family of the ctenids.
The common name for weaving comes from its attack position, when the front legs are raised and rigid.
They usually enter human-inhabited environments when looking for food or even shelter, and hide in clothes, cupboards and shoes. When disturbed, they can sting in a “furious” way to defend themselves.