It is practically impossible to prevent children from accessing the technology. In today’s world devices mobile and the internet they are essential for many tasks. But if they are to be allowed to view content online it is necessary supervise them as there risks. Right now the authorities of Italy they investigate the death of a girl that could be related to a challenge you saw on TikTok.
According to local media, the Italian police have opened a investigation about the accidental death of a 10-year-old girl who allegedly participated in a “challenge“on the TikTok video social network.
As part of the investigation carried out by the authorities, they announced that they had temporarily blocked access to TikTok for users whose age could not be clearly ascertained. In detail, the Italian Data Protection Authority said in a statement that “it would block the social network at least until next February 15, the date on which the network would have to satisfy the demands of the regulator and offer an explanation.
According to what has been released so far, the girl died in a Palermo hospital after being discovered by her sister, just five years old, in the bathroom of her house with her cell phone, device that was confiscated by the police.
TikTok, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, said last week, when the case was filed, that it had failed to identify any content on its site that might have encouraged the girl to participate in such a challenge, but was assisting authorities in the investigation about the possible “incitement to suicide”.
“The TikTok community safety is our absolute priority, for this reason we do not allow any content that encourages, promotes or glorifies behaviors that may be dangerous “, said a TikTok spokesperson.
Even so, in the past, health and technology they have warned about him danger that social networks can represent for young. In this specific case they refer to the case of “scarfing” or the choking game“in which people are challenged to restrict the delivery of oxygen to the brain as much as possible.
The girl’s parents told La Repubblica newspaper that their other daughter explained that her sister “was playing the call blackout game O scarfing “and that they didn’t know anything about it.” We didn’t know that she was participating in this game. We knew that our daughter went to TikTok to dance, to watch videos. How could I imagine this atrocity? “They declared.
Read also: Starlink, Elon Musk’s internet will come to Mexico
TikTok is investigating the content
TikTok is aware of its popularity among younger users so in 2020 it launched new tools such as remote parental controls and allowed parents change privacy settings of children in the app. Also a few days ago changed privacy settings Default for users aged 13-15, setting limits to who can view and comment on your videos.
Despite the above, the platform has been accused on several occasions of not doing enough to protect its younger users. Various countries have pointed out easy it is for very young children to sign up for the app with a false age.
The case in Italy once again raised alarms regarding content on social networks. Authorities note that TikTok violates Italian law that requires parental consent when children under 14 years of age register on social media. Therefore, the company may have to implement considerably more severe measures to prevent cases such as that of the minor who lost her life.